New Omerta SOI 5mm 11 Inch Swing Guards

Hand Made & Converted

New Omerta SOI 5mm 11 Inch Swing Guards

Postby Rubens Blades » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 am

So JB and I have been working on this for quite some time. We read the forums a listened to what people want. This is the very first prototype for the Omerta Sons Of Italy 11 inch swing guards with 5mm thick backsprings,springs and blades.

There are a very few minor bugs or kinks to work out which are no big deal. You have to build the first one to figure out all the quirks of the parts. All in all after building this first one I cay say for sure that the blades will crack open fast and be pretty rock solid. The safeties cannot get loose or break due to the way they are designed and installed.

This finished knife has Shedua wood which is a strong but light weight wood. Even with the lighter weighted wood the knife still weighs about 8 ounces or a half pound. :mrgreen:

We are going to keep the discussion going on the forum,so you guys can see how something like this comes to life. I will let JB jump in when he gets a chance to give you the specs and such.
Attachments
Rubens087.jpg
Rubens087.jpg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 10638 times
Rubens089.jpg
Rubens089.jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 10638 times
Rubens090.jpg
Rubens090.jpg (124.59 KiB) Viewed 10638 times
Rubens088.jpg
Rubens088.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 10638 times
Rubens Blades

Re: New Omerta SOI 5mm 11 Inch Swing Guards

Postby ExiledExports » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:24 am

I started the project in the late spring and early summer of 2013 and getting everything made took till last week to get finished. It was not a simple task and took quite an investment to get the project started. Ruben and I did some custom swinguard and put solid bolsters and batwing guards on them in 2012 and they were very popular and turned out rock solid and better than expected and that began us wanting to do our own model and to make it better than anything that had been made. So 5mm stuff is awesome, it has the size that is perfect for a blade and the backspring is thick enough to deliver a good opening. I have been messing around with my butterfly knife line and started experimenting with stainless steel bearings and ceramic bearings. I concluded that ceramic is far superior and has a rock solid application but leaves a wide space and you can view things. So I altered the design and it would only work on a 5mm because I recessed the bearings into the blade itself. Many guys said this could not be done, but you guys should know me by now that I can't stand negative talk and go out of my way to disprove the naysayers.

I have sold thousands of Italian knives and the biggest complaints are ones that always have two sides that complain. One guy cries that the blade has too much blade play and is loose and sloppy. Then the other guy whines that the blade is solid but opens slowly. The truth is the old guys in Italy are hammering things by hand, that is why they are called hand made and not one is the same but most have a problem to complain about. So the rock solid solution is to have bearings, this makes for certain that there is no play and that it opens lighting fast. This is the only way to make both guys happy and solve the arguments that are valid.

The next is always been the lousy slide safeties. You will always have the idiot that picks Italian knives up and press the button as hard as possible with the slide safety up which bends the tab and makes the safety not work anymore. You can see this at knife and gun shows all the time, never fails some idiot that knows nothing about this style of knife and refuses to ask first and just breaks it on the first time they touch it. Also common is to show your collection to friends and family and once again the idiot comes out and they break the safety because they tell you it doesn't open while pressing the button like a Neanderthal. So this matter has to be solved as well. So a solid block of aluminum is used and then I took the idea on how Microtech put a spring and bearing in the trigger slides so that they did not rattle and put pressure on them. So we used a solid aluminum slide with a spring and bearing. Now you can be forceful with it and show it to the village idiots and they can't break it. The design had to be rock solid and idiot proof because there is no other way to really state and correct the problems. You want a knife that will not have any problems and is built correctly and that you can show off and show it off and not worry about having it easily broken.

I also am not a fan of brass liners because there is too much flex and when using natural horn and bone most people do not care for it correctly with RenWax or something to keep things protected against humidity and dryness, so the banana effect always happens and pulls the liners up and once this happens it causes the knife so that it is unable to close. It pulls the sear catch away so that it can not engage in the blade and hence won't close. So this matter again is due to ignorance or stupidity and had to be addressed to make sure it can't happen. So I wanted thick solid stainless liners.

I have handled thousands of Italian models and hundreds of customs and have never been impressed by them and see the design issues never fixed or addressed correctly. So I am the designer and took it to CAD and engineered the best way to achieve the corrections. So finally a year and a half project has come to being produced and seeing it put together by a master who understands how it should be done only makes the project even better.

I know they are not easy to build. So don't go run out and buy it for your 5 year old to put together and think you can do it. These are complicated to build and engineered to be rock solid and takes a pro several days to complete and I was well aware that this was going to be the case.

I am happy to see my things finally come to life and to see a working finished full custom hand made piece that is the most rock solid and fastest opening model ever done.
ExiledExports
Site Admin

Postby k5dave » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:56 pm

The knife looks awesome and being 5 mm thick I bet it definitely has the solid feel of quality. Thank you for taking the time to put out the information behind the design phase of the project - it was fascinating information. Just perusing your web site things appear to be deceptively simple - but everything matters from the angles on the kick to the final tension on the pivot pins.

Designing and building knives is definitely an art and I am a fan (fanatic?) of your work and the art of knife making in general. I never gave any consideration to the issue with the safety but no doubt from the designer and builder perspective you've got to consider all the angles - you must love it when something like what you described with the safety happens and someone acts like it is a design flaw rather than owning it as an operator error! I've learned more from my mistakes than anything - like the time I didn't get the proper tension on a timing belt on an interference engine and had to redo it after pulling the head and replacing some valves; I got it right the second try!

I think you make it look easier than it is, but you sure do keep challenging yourself to make improvements. You added quite a few new kit offerings lately and there is a lot that is of interest.
k5dave

Postby ExiledExports » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Yes, will be a lot more listed soon. I have found I have to list knives that we make first. If I sell a kit in parts, I get endless emails from guys that say things don't work, which I know is a lie. So I learned that having models listed that are finished as proof that it can be done and then point to them that is it possible stops the emails. I really don't enjoy that part of things to tell you the truth. I really don't like people who don't own up to their mistakes in life. We all do stupid things that is a given but owning them shows us who the real men and women are. Like you did with the timing belt, you are better for it now, you know your mistake and fixed the behavior and that is a respectable person to be friends with. Sadly it does not work that way most times with knives. I have over a decade now doting this and know all the crying techniques. So there is no one to fix this matter but me and hitting it from every single angle that the scammer can go at me with.

I get called names and insulted for not selling kits with rivets or hardware, when I post that many guys prefer using their own and use brass nails or welding rods and it is up to them to decide the route they want. Others use the screw pivot fastner hardware and I leave it open to personal choice. Sadly it fails with about half of them calling me everything you can imagine. Then you know you have to ream holes to get things to fit, so if I supply the rivets then I get insults because they are too big. It is an endless dance with people who complain and I do my best to get rid of this behavior because it is what I hate the most. It is usually that I just don't like this type of person because of their poor behavior so it makes me ofcourse stick to my beliefs and then I get thrown to the asshole group.

I do have guys which are very rare that tell me that they pressed the button while up and bent a safety out of place, I respect these guys and usually help them. It is the guy that I know lies to me and tells me the story that it is broken when I know for a fact I don't ship things like that. I might just have to adjust the way I ship things again, many guys ship them with safeties down and rubber band them so they can not destroy the safety. So might be my new madness that I have to resort to with the standard stuff. It is sad, and you can't put directions or pictures with things, it doesn't work guys do not read things.

The goal is to have an item that there is no way that tall tales can even exist because truly it is the nightmare of this business.

You will like the story. Ratworx makes the most rock solid chain driven tactical model on the market. It is bullet proof, yet one major thing had to be changed. Guess what it was? Screws. They had to design their own special tamper proof screw because guys taking them apart would send them back and guys buying kits from me lied and sent them in. It is bullshit behavior, those guys built the best model out and gave the opportunity to me to sell them to build, which I still do with the original hardware but they now know stories can not be told. Microtech had the same thing and is the reason for their Tri-Bit and Triangle screws. I actually hate this idea but understand it from their views. If you work on cars then you know that now many tools are only sold to the dealer making it so that none of us can work on certain parts of the transmissions and engine and computers.

I want the world were we help one another and we improve things and that we hold one another accountable and we rebuke and scold anyone for not owning up to their actions. Sadly this does not exist. There are a few of us that understand this in life and I am glad I get to talk and chat with them. And the only way to get others to join us and how we view things is to show them the truth.
ExiledExports
Site Admin

Postby Rubens Blades » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:21 am

I just wanted to jump in here and add that with a project like this,there is an insane amount of work that goes into design and getting everything converted to CAD so things can be reproduced. At this point in this project JB has done 99.9% of the work so far. I am happy to have my name attached to this project in any way I can, and am glad it is now my turn to do the majority of work. I have been chomping at the bit ever since we began talking about this a couple years ago.

I built that first knife in the pics,and can say that I saw some things that needed to change. There were a couple issues with the parts which are now fixed,and I saw some things that needed to be changed on my part as the builder. It's only been a very few days since I finished that first knife and things have already changed dramatically on the second knife. I needed smoother lines,more contour,tighter finish and a better button. I have that now. I will show you guys the pics when the second one is done tomorrow.

I also wanted to add that I have had some interesting experiences since JB and I started working together. I have had certain collectors and dealers not want to deal with or talk to me anymore. I have had my name dragged through the mud with no real explanation as to why many times. I have had people tell me to go out on my own and not work with JB if I wanted more work.

Here is the deal with all of that,as well as how I feel.

When I went semi retired,I wanted to be able to go into my shop every day and play with,fix,build and make knives. That was my dream and goal in life. I have been able to do that without any worries,since the very first week I hooked up with JB. We are going on 3 years right now and it just keeps getting better and better. I will stick by him,not because of the work,but because I like him. We are very similar and I see nothing but pure honesty when I speak and interact with him. If he lived closer,I am sure we would hang out and have a beer or two quite often. So either we are both awesome guys or we are both assholes. I would like to think that we are a bit of both,and just enough of each. :mrgreen:
Rubens Blades

Postby Rubens Blades » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:42 pm

So all the bugs have been worked out and I am proud to show you the finished product. This will be our satin finish model with Hellraiser guards and the wood is Padauk. It cracks open with rock solid lock up.

There will be many different types of finishes,many different types of guards,many different types of handle materials and many different types of buttons. Each knife will be unique. :D
Attachments
Rubens092.jpg
Rubens092.jpg (113.81 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
Rubens093.jpg
Rubens093.jpg (103.16 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
Rubens094.jpg
Rubens094.jpg (141.78 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
Rubens Blades

Postby k5dave » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 am

That looks awesome! I've never owned a swing guard but always wanted one - they just have a great sound to them when they are fired... The only swing guard I've ever handled was one that my cousin had that I believe originated from Mexico; it was a little lacking in terms of quality. Your knife looks like a very solid well engineered knife. It looks perfect - the button to scale precision of the hole and I really like that you guys opted to have two pins in the rear bolster rather than just one. It is extremely well thought out and beautifully put together.
k5dave

Postby Rubens Blades » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:21 am

Thanks a bunch. It is a super technical knife to make. Everything has to be right on the money. One thing out of whack and it just looks weird. There is even a little stainless steel spring under the safety that pushes up towards the handle material. So if your handle material wears a little bit from sliding the safety back and forth.The spring takes up the difference and keeps it tight. So they can never get loose and flop around.

I personally like the satin finish better on most knives. It almost looks like they were carved with a machine,but it is all done by hand. Plus you don't get those micro scratches like you do with a high polish.

But then again,nothing beats a super shiny high polished knife that cracks open when you fire it. :mrgreen:
Rubens Blades

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:24 am

Great job both designing and building this line of knives! I like the proportions including the blade release thumb relief. Where there is passion, excellence shines through.
The only time you fail is if you are too afraid or lazy to try.
oldschool

Postby ExiledExports » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 am

Number 2 looks good. I agree, I like all looks so changing the finish is cool, I like the hammer finished look as well, it looked awesome on the picklock you did last year. I can't wait to see the batwing style with the thick guards it will be cool. Everyone thinks you can just crank things out when you do things, but that is not true takes a year or more most times to get things rolling. It is nice to see a civil discussion about things, not some pissing contest about if Colorado is in China. I am in the middle of the country it is crazy, Chad is closer to China in Washington than me but go figure. Last I checked, I did the CAD work when I took Beltrame models apart to make the run of solid bolster batwing models that we did, they had to be torn apart because all the safeties where broken due to the moron factor of trying to force them open with the safety up. So only way to fix that problem is to tear apart the entire knife. So while I was at it tearing them apart, I had the CAD work done for .dxf files so I could go have things cut. Then we experimented on the models that were torn apart and then saw what we liked and didn't like and I said I would run a 5mm model with stainless liners and I took the bearing idea from my butterfly line and said why not apply this idea to a swinguard. No one has ever done that. Then I decided to recess them in the blade and this could really only be done with a 5mm model because the standard 3mm doesn't have enough meat on the bone to do a recess. Then only a machinest and others that know that machining things does not mean they are perfect from flaws or just all go together simply. These take a lot of time to put together, much more detailed than a stock 3mm model that Italy bangs out and that is the same since the late 60's. This is an evolution and ideas came from a lot of areas to make it happen. Last I checked I am American, I might have been born in Scotland making me also Scottish but never Chinese, maybe the closest I got was my step mom from Manilla, but that is Filipino and they usually get pissed when you call them Chinese. That was my dads last wife when he was in his 60's she was in her 30's, she was cool and most likely why I like Filipino culture and balisongs. I like how the critics really just speculate and speak off the cuff to attempt insults on the other forums, I can go over and post things but why bother all they do is act like babies and start calling me names, and then change their posts remove things they said remove links to what we have done. It is stupid nonsense. We actually have accomplished more in about a year than those guys have in a decade. The point to a community is to talk about the facts of the knife, not that you hate me, I really don't care, so either you figure that out and move on or in the end people with a clue will figure out who participates and actively tries to create things and share with a community not exploit them or call each other names. I will never apologize for what others call user error and I straight up say is stupid behavior because smashing down a button to force it open well that is how I view it. It has gotten so insane that I have seen hammer marks on the buttons. I can't open it up with my finger so man I will take a hammer to this and get it open. Don't think about sliding it down, that would be too easy but go get a hammer. That is why I state it this way, I have seen some nutty stuff way more than pretty much every single one of those guys on the other forums, you could combine all of what they have seen and I got them beat hands down. I do try to keep calm but once names come flying at me sometimes I crack but it is true I am much milder these days and I do at least try to keep it funny. So if you do a hammered bolster look you need to hammer the button for me as well, this way I can laugh about it.
ExiledExports
Site Admin

Next

Return to Custom Made Automatic Switchblade Knives