AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Help building,making,repairing or customizing your knife

AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Postby Madmarco » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Hey Chad! I just got an AGA 11"-Maltese Lockback/Brazilian horn scales, from JB, and I'm having some trouble with it. 1st.-it came in 2 separate packages for delivery to Canada, and neither package contained any washers for the pivot pin. I have an outstanding order with JB, and asked him to add bronze phosphorous washers to the order, but, I don't know if that is the solution. There is an awful lot of room at the pivot, inside the brass liners, and when I tighten the screw to eliminate blade play, the blade will barely pop out of the channel, and only opens 3/4 of the way, since it is likely too tight. When I loosen the screw to the point that allows it to open properly, there is totally too much blade play, to the point of being sloppy. I have tried numerous stages of tightness, but, its either too tight, or, too loose. I also tried Quick Release lube, when it was too tight, but, no difference. Being completely frustrated, I removed the teflon washers from a cheap, assisted opening stiletto I own, and installed them, but, again, no difference. Those were too thick anyway. Do you think the B/P washers will fix the problem, and if not, do you have any suggestions? 2nd.-there are serious gaps between the liners and scales, and liners and spine, and when I squeeze the 2 sides of the body together, the gaps close up. Are the scales dry, and shrinking, and are the brass liners warping, or,.....? Again, any suggestions? By the time I pay currency exchange, and, credit card currency exchange, a $175. knife, delivered, cost me around $300., so I'd really hate for it to not work. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks, Mark! 8-)
Madmarco

Re: AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Postby Rubens Blades » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:44 pm

The PB washers should help. Sometimes you need to double stack them,and put two on each side. It creates less friction versus the blade being up against all that brass liner.

The unfortunate truth about a bunch of AGA knives is that they are not built very well sometimes. Some have super weak springs,some pinned too tight,some pinned too loose...etc.

Try the washers and let me know.
Rubens Blades

Re: AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Postby Madmarco » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm

O'K., I'll try single, and double stacking. JB told me the same thing about the AGA's, saying, "it depends on how much wine the builder has drank, as to how the knife turns out"! He also said this model was never meant to be unassembled, once complete, and that they don't have a strong spring to begin with. Is it possible to remove, and replace the spring with a stronger one, and, if so, could you briefly describe the process to me?(remove the sex pin, and pop the spring out, or...?) Thx! 8-)
Madmarco

Return to Ask Rubens Blades