AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Help building,making,repairing or customizing your knife

AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Postby Madmarco » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Hey Chad! I just got an AGA 11"-Maltese Lockback/Brazilian horn scales, from JB, and I'm having some trouble with it. 1st.-it came in 2 separate packages for delivery to Canada, and neither package contained any washers for the pivot pin. I have an outstanding order with JB, and asked him to add bronze phosphorous washers to the order, but, I don't know if that is the solution. There is an awful lot of room at the pivot, inside the brass liners, and when I tighten the screw to eliminate blade play, the blade will barely pop out of the channel, and only opens 3/4 of the way, since it is likely too tight. When I loosen the screw to the point that allows it to open properly, there is totally too much blade play, to the point of being sloppy. I have tried numerous stages of tightness, but, its either too tight, or, too loose. I also tried Quick Release lube, when it was too tight, but, no difference. Being completely frustrated, I removed the teflon washers from a cheap, assisted opening stiletto I own, and installed them, but, again, no difference. Those were too thick anyway. Do you think the B/P washers will fix the problem, and if not, do you have any suggestions? 2nd.-there are serious gaps between the liners and scales, and liners and spine, and when I squeeze the 2 sides of the body together, the gaps close up. Are the scales dry, and shrinking, and are the brass liners warping, or,.....? Again, any suggestions? By the time I pay currency exchange, and, credit card currency exchange, a $175. knife, delivered, cost me around $300., so I'd really hate for it to not work. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks, Mark! 8-)
Madmarco

Re: AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Postby Rubens Blades » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:44 pm

The PB washers should help. Sometimes you need to double stack them,and put two on each side. It creates less friction versus the blade being up against all that brass liner.

The unfortunate truth about a bunch of AGA knives is that they are not built very well sometimes. Some have super weak springs,some pinned too tight,some pinned too loose...etc.

Try the washers and let me know.
Rubens Blades

Postby Madmarco » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm

O'K., I'll try single, and double stacking. JB told me the same thing about the AGA's, saying, "it depends on how much wine the builder has drank, as to how the knife turns out"! He also said this model was never meant to be unassembled, once complete, and that they don't have a strong spring to begin with. Is it possible to remove, and replace the spring with a stronger one, and, if so, could you briefly describe the process to me?(remove the sex pin, and pop the spring out, or...?) Thx! 8-)
Madmarco

Postby Rubens Blades » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Not really,those springs are made just for that knife and you can only really replace it with the exact same spring. Those two pins on the bottom bolster is what holds it in.
Rubens Blades

Postby Madmarco » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:24 am

Yah, thanks for the info! Actually, its only 1 pin on the bottom bolster, and it appears to go right through to the other side, and then its peened. I'm just waiting for some pure lanolin to arrive so I can rub it in, and attempt to soften up the bone scales. I think the existing spring may be adequate actually, because I pinched the top bolsters together with my fingers, and then fired it, and it cracked open, the way it should, so hopefully 1, or, 2 sets of B/P washers will tighten it up. My biggest problem currently is the brass liners. I was doing some experimenting, :idea: and removed the blade, held the knife straight up and down(north to south), and turned it sideways so I could look into the channel, and the liners were bowed in, in the middle, and spread out, in a "Y" shape, at the top, so I think the shrinking scales are pulling on the liners, and warping them. :x I was considering knocking all the pins out, and replacing the liners with SS ones, and while I was at it, possibly new non-bone scales, but, the only SS liners I could find at www.sbk.com that were even close, were for an 11" swingaurd, and I doubt they would fit properly. I'll check 3knives.com as well. Did spot some nice MOP scales though! We'll see, after a lanolin scrub, and washers, it may straighten out. Hope so, cuz I really like the knife! Anyway, thx again Chad! 8-)
Madmarco

Postby Madmarco » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:19 am

Chad! I wish to extend my sincere apology for contradicting your info. You were absolutely correct that the AGA Maltese Lockback bottom bolster is held on with 2 pins, not 1, like I said. I should have trusted an experienced maker from the start. I recently discovered this when I unassembled the knife, due to it performing so poorly, and in doing so, inadvertently broke the solder seal on the bottom bolster, and found it held on with 2 pins. I tore it down completely, right to the point of removing the button assembly, because I was going to replace the brass liners with SS ones, but, I can't find SS liners for that knife anywhere. Due to this, I decided to use the brass liners, which I straightened out from a banana shape, to nice and flat. I have found some gorgeous new scales to use, that are not bone, so I won't have to worry about shrinking scales again, and due to this, the brass liners will be just fine. I also gave the spring a little bend in an attempt to make it stronger. I will be getting tools, and some parts from JB, but will likely need your expertise on re-assembly, since this is my 1st time trying something like this. If I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll provide before, and after shots. I acquired some pure lanolin, and applied it thick, for 24 hours, and installed B/P washers, but there was no difference in performance, which is what prompted me to take it apart. I have 3 questions for you right now. 1.-I'm having trouble determining which size trigger pin to order.(I'm referring to the very small pin that holds the button assembly to the brass liners, in case I'm not using the correct terminology) JB has 2 sizes in stock, 1/a longer shaft, and 1/a shorter shaft. I suppose if I used the longer one I could grind it down flush with the liner, but I'd like to know anyway. 2.-I'm having the same trouble with the size of pins I use for the scales. I'm thinking 2mm, but not sure. I was considering using screws instead of pins, and recessing them, and may do this, but I'd like to know, just in case I go with pins. 3.-I have the same question for the bolster pins, what size? Again, I'm thinking 3mm for this one, but currently don't have the guage to measure accurately, although, I will be ordering one from JB, but I'd like to get the pins at the same time so I don't have to pay shipping for just pins. If you can help me with these questions I'd sure appreciate it! Once again, my apologies for doubting you! 8-) P.S.-I figured out how to upload pics, I just couldn't get it to upload the pic of the blade, and hardware! P.S.S.-I'm going with no safety, 1st. because I don't care for them, and 2nd. it will make assembly that much easier!
WIN_20191222_18_53_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20191222_18_53_17_Pro.jpg (174.03 KiB) Viewed 480 times
WIN_20191222_18_54_08_Pro.jpg
WIN_20191222_18_54_08_Pro.jpg (139.11 KiB) Viewed 480 times
WIN_20191222_18_56_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20191222_18_56_42_Pro.jpg (142.55 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Madmarco

Postby Madmarco » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:41 am

I figured out how to upload the pic of the blade, and hardware, start a new reply!(although, don't know if this was really necessary) 8-)
WIN_20191222_18_58_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20191222_18_58_04_Pro.jpg (145.81 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Madmarco

Postby Rubens Blades » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Let me see if I have Maltese parts in the shop today and I will get some measurements for you. BTW did you apply the lanolin to the bottom of the handles where they are more porous?
Rubens Blades

Postby Madmarco » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 pm

That help would be great man! And yes, I applied the lanolin ALL over the scales, thick, and let it soak in for 24 hrs., but, in this case it made absolutely no difference, which is what prompted me to tear it right down, and start from scratch. This is my first attempt at any sort of build, and I'm really excited about doing it! I tried the B/P washers AFTER the soak as well, but, no luck! The pure lanolin is more-or-less like Vaseline, without being greasy, and I can definitely see it being effective with bone scales, but I think this knife sat on the shelf too long, and the scales shrunk right up, taking the liners with them! With the knife apart, the liners looked like a canoe! JB has SS liners for an 11" swinguard, and I may try using them, with some alterations, in attaching the bolsters. Thx for the help! 8-) P.S.-It never dawned on me if its O.K. to post pics in this section. If its not, please advise!
Madmarco

Postby Rubens Blades » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Sorry,was on vacation,and yes,it is fine for you to post pics anytime you want. Pretty sure the two pins that hold the spring in are 2mm,along with the spine pin. The handle pins are a bit smaller,maybe 1.5mm? But you can drill those out to any size you like. Sometime horn is steamed and flattened out for knife scales,and quite often,it wants to go back to it's original curve.
Rubens Blades

Next

Return to Ask Rubens Blades