AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Help building,making,repairing or customizing your knife

Re: AGA 11" MALTESE PROBLEMS!

Postby Madmarco » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Thx for the info Chad! I'm thinking about using screws, instead of pins, where possible of course, so it can be more easily dismantled should problems arise, and, I have a piece of jewellery on the way for a custom button, and new composite scales, so it will barely look like an AGA Maltese lockback when I'm done! Should be tons of fun! Thanks again! 8-)
Madmarco

Postby Madmarco » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:15 am

Just wanted to show you my completed AGA Maltese re-build. It really didn't turn out like I was hoping, as I had all kinds of trouble trying to get the new button hole sized properly, and I ran out of composite, so I just used the least ruined piece, instead of dumping more money into a losing proposition, since the knife still operates very poorly. My first attempt, and not very proud of it, but it looks O.K. just sitting in my collection. Oh well, I'll just try again! 8-)
WIN_20200222_21_51_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200222_21_51_07_Pro.jpg (169.74 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
WIN_20200222_21_54_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200222_21_54_51_Pro.jpg (165.83 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Madmarco

Postby Rubens Blades » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Keep trying! You will get the hang of it. Most Italian button holes are about 21/64" and you can use a round file to clean up the hole just a tad.
Rubens Blades

Postby Madmarco » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Thx bud, I appreciate the encouragement! Although it's hard to see from my pics, the hole is ROUND,(and WAY too big)and the faux diamond stud that I used is SQUARE, and it REALLY looks goofy! This came about cuz I ruined all the composite I had, trying to get the hole right,(even after measuring, and re-measuring)and ended up using the least ruined piece, just so I at least had an assembled knife, as opposed to it just sitting in pieces. I thought I had things lined-up, and drilled a round hole, slightly smaller than the square stud I used, and then took a flat file and tried to get the edges square, or actually into a baseball diamond shape, but, I didn't get the edges even, and the hole just kept getting bigger, and bigger, as I was trying to square it, until I had no choice but to use a bigger round drill bit, and make the hole round again, just so I'd have a useable piece for the front scale! Yikes! I also didn't peen the spine rivet tight enough, so now it's loose, and sloppy, and doesn't lock when the blade extends. It seems to have no pressure against the spring, so when I push it, it just stays up or down. JB suggested to me last night to use the screw+barrel pivots that he has, as the rivet, but I'm not sure if we're on the same page as to what's wrong. I'm thinking he was referring to the blade pivot, but I already have a s+b pivot. I certainly could use one of those, I'd just have to drill the spine hole larger. Also, the blade gets locked in the channel when I close the knife, and I have to dig it out with a nail. Once again JB told me exactly what was happening with this, and said to use oil on the hole, and sear, or, file down the sear slightly, but not too much or I'd get peeking, but I think the problem lies with the rocker arm where I soldered the button on. I soldered it with the stud sitting directly on top of the hole in the rocker, so when done, there was a blob of solder on the bottom of the hole. I realized this would interfere with how far down the button would go, and the sear would come up, when pressed, so I filed the blob flat, but obviously not enough, cuz it's not allowing the sear to completely clear the hole, thus catching on the blade hole when I push the button. I was going to just leave it as is, and write it off as a lesson learned, but ever since I finished it, the damn thing has been "calling" to me to try again, so that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully ALL the mistakes for this one are behind me, and I'll get it right the next time! Thanks again for your advise and support, it's very much appreciated, I'll keep ya posted! 8-)
Madmarco

Previous

Return to Ask Rubens Blades